A message from APLD leadership to landscape designers.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the priority of the Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD) is the health and safety its members, their clients and our communities. We recognize that you are facing challenges never seen before; and are looking for ways to support all of you. We know there will be varied opportunities landscape designers still have to practice and earn a living, and those opportunities will be different for each person, business, and geographic location. Our organization’s leadership and staff are here to serve you.
During this unprecedented time, we believe our community should:
Stay-up-to-date and comply with local, national and international officials’ directives related to the crisis to keep you, your employees and contractors, clients, families and communities safe.
- World Health Organization
- U.S. Department of State – Country Specific Travel Information
- Visit the website and social media pages of the governor’s office of your state
Consider new ways to conduct business in light of mandatory and voluntary social distancing. Here are some tips on how to move forward in ways that are careful, mindful, and respectful.
- Meet virtually. For meetings, utilize easy to use (and access) tools like Facetime, Google Duo, Google Hangouts, Skype, Zoom, and What’s App Video. There are many affordable, and sometimes free file share platforms available. Check out WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive and others.
- Co-design with your clients. If your customers are stuck at home, it’s a great time for them to pay attention to their landscape and outdoor living space. Ask clients to do a virtual tour of their gardens, pointing out problems and challenges; as well as their hopes and dreams for their outdoor space.
- Revisit your client base. Reach out virtually, and let them know that you are working; as well as the scope and extent of your services in light of the pandemic. Your email marketing and social media campaigns are also a great opportunity for your community to get to know you better.
- Share business appropriate photos and stories that make a personal connection with your clients
- Highlight new trends in your marketplace, your favorite plants, impressive hardscapes, and anything else that inspires you and your customers
- Remind your clients about the benefits of a beautifully landscaped home. Talk to them about the health benefits of relaxing in their outdoor space, spending quality family time outside, taking in the fresh air and nature, and increasing the value of their home at the same time!
- “Share the love” by promoting your partner businesses, affiliate organizations and groups doing good work in your community
- Educate your social media circle about your experience, certifications, affiliations (like, APLD) and everything that is special about you and your company
This could be the time to start working towards your certification. Take some online classes, begin gathering photos and complete your packet. APLD certification is not only a potential advantage in the marketplace, but can provide you with inspiration and confidence. This program is open to all eligible landscape design professionals. Click here for more information.
If you have other ideas to share with APLD members, visit our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) and share with each other. We are all in this together. Let’s survive and thrive during this crisis!